Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Swim Lessons are a No Go

Took Anna Claire to her first swim lesson today. She put on her goggles and floated on the blue board. She kicked. She sat on the edge and kicked. All smiles. Then her teacher took her over to the ramp and had her reach down for diving rings. Next thing I know she's bringing her back to Larry and me, lifting her out of the pool and handing her to me. I am confused???

The teacher explains that Anna Claire is like a baby. She thinks she's just there to play in the water. She's not listening. She's not learning anything. "I don't want to waste your money. Swim lessons are expensive. Maybe she can try again in 6 months. I'll tell my boss that we didn't have a lesson today and you can get a full refund."

I was still confused, frustrated, and even angry. When I got home, I went into the bathroom, closed the door, and cried.

I know Anna Claire doesn't always listen. When I take her to gymnastics or to swim I have witnessed what the teacher meant by her being there just to play. She is very strong-willed. But she is capable. I guess I hoped that she would listen better to someone else. Disappointed. Really wanted her to learn to swim this year. Especially when I see many of her friends in her class taking lessons and thriving.

I am mostly crushed because I knew how excited Anna Claire was about swim lessons. She's been talking about it for weeks. And the 15 minutes we did log in today? She was a having a ball.

I can look back on it now, hours later and see that the instructor had good intentions, trying to save us time and money. I just found her harsh...making a judgment call like that after just 15 minutes. Doesn't seem like we truly gave it a chance.

I will keep taking her and working with her twice a week and we'll try lessons again in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment