Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Heartbreaking Pickups

The past few days that I've gone to pick up Anna Claire, she cries almost immediately upon seeing me. This has happened in the past, but not nearly to this magnitude.

Yesterday, the previous teacher introduced me then said "Anna Claire cries everyday, everyday, when her mom picks her up." She said "everyday" twice for emphasis I guess. That stung.

Today was the worst. When I walked into the classroom, a teacher (who I love) was holding Anna Claire. I reached out to take her, and she turned away from me, buried her head into the teacher's chest and cried even harder. I attempted two more times only to be met with the same reaction. Another teacher (who I also love) finally said, "You need to take your baby. Take your baby." I took Anna Claire and left in tears. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.

I have gone over it again and again in my mind, which I know better not to do, but I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to prevent it from happening again. It's way too heartbreaking.

I should add that I have the happiest baby in the class (or at least I'm told) and that as soon as we get in the car, she is talking to me, singing and laughing. And Anna Claire is super happy at home. I guess that's why I'm at a total loss as to why she is not as happy to see me as I am to see her, after being apart for 8 hours.

Larry and I were talking about it, and wonder if it's because she misses Leah. My arrival may remind her that Leah is gone. She and I would chat for awhile, so she had some transition time before leaving. Since Leah left I've just been signing her out and taking off. Now that there are two teachers in place that I feel comfortable with, maybe I can hang around and transition again. It's certainly something to try. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through this. I went through it with Wade at this same age. I really feel like he was mad because some of the other children had been picked up before me. Luckily, I transferred to middle school and now he is the first to be picked up. My girlfriend told me as a child her parents were always last to pick her up everyday and she felt like they didn't want to come get her so I bust out of there to be the first to get mine. I hope it ends soon for you, it is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy for saying that and for sharing. Yesterday was better. Anna Claire came straight to me and only fussed when I put her coat on, which is, well, typical. Today, she saw her blanket and paci in her cubby, which normally get stashed in her backpack so they're out of sight, so that was fail. And I had to take a teddy bear away from her, fail. And put her coat on, fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Angie! Anna Claire use to do this when Jeanne or I would leave as well, or when we came back. I think it was an excitement thing... she is sad to leave, but so excited to see you that she does not know how to react. It is soooo common. I miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah! That is reassuring to hear. I just want my happy girl to be happy ALL THE TIME! Good luck with that wish, huh?

    Lord knows we miss you too, and I mean ALL the moms and Chicks class, not just me and Anna Claire.

    ReplyDelete