Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Life without her...

This may seem like an abysmal title for a post, but I can't help but think about how the past few days of 24/7 caring for my mom have made me feel so disconnected from my precious little girl, and I don't mind saying, I hate it. 

I do. I realize that what I need to do is to strike a balance and that no matter what is going on with Momma from a health standpoint, I have to always make sure that my number one priority is being a mommy.

It's kind of like AC's fave show, Mike the Knight. Once Mike realizes he's screwed up, he says, "It's time to be knight, and do it right."

I also received a message from my sister-in-law today offering guidance and wisdom. She shared her experience with her dad, and reminded me that my family (Larry and Anna Claire) always need to come first, no matter what.

My Momma also needs her independence and there is such a thing as helping too much.  In trying to help, sometimes we go overboard and do a disservice to those we care about. I see now, looking back, that I could have let Momma do much more for herself, which would actually give her more independence and dignity.

Tomorrow begins a sense of normalcy and renewed routine. I will sprinkle into this periodic visits to see my mom, but not to the point of feeling disconnected from my child like I've felt this past week. No sir.

I can't imagine life without her, and luckily, I don't have to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment