Thursday, September 20, 2012

Apple Orchard Visit

Today marked Anna Claire's first visit to an apple orchard. And not the one I originally intended to take her to. I called Shade Tree Farm after school to ask if there were any apples left for picking, and was told that they don't do "u pick" anymore because people were stealing from them.

The lady did say that end of October there would be Apple Cider day where kids can see cider being made, take a wagon ride, and do an apple craft. So we just might do that!

She also said she remembered seeing signs for an orchard at Exit 19. So that's where we headed, but no luck finding it. So I told AC, "You know what, Mommy knows some friends who have an orchard on their property. Let's just go ask if we can pick some apples. It never hurts to ask."

"Let's go, Mommy!" she encouraged from the back seat.

We made it there, and they were happy for us to pick, especially after meeting Anna Claire.

We drove down to the little grove of trees and took a steep walk uphill to get to them. Found three different varieties. They are really ugly little apples, but among some of the most delicious ones I've ever tasted. Anna Claire loved hers and ate it up.

Hard to find any low enough to reach though. Most of the ones ready to pick were 6 ft or higher on the trees. The 7 that I picked, i had to figure out what branch they were on and pull the branch down low enough that I could grab them.

Anna Claire loved sitting under the trees and eating her apples. So did I. It was just what I needed to get me through this crazy, busy and stressful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment