Friday, January 13, 2012

First Snow as a Big Girl

When I went to pick up Anna Claire at the Red Barn yesterday, the excitement of the snow was already evident. She and all of her little friends were as happy as can be and dancing around. Anna Claire's teacher said she kept calling the snow, "White powder." Anna Claire and her friends who weren't twirling around were telling me all about it.

As we walked out and she saw the snow, she immediately wanted some. "I touch it! I can have some!" I told her she could. Delight.

She opened her mouth and tried catching snowflakes on her tongue, just like all of the characters in her snowy wintery books we've been reading. "I taste it! I catch them on my tongue!" And thank the Lord that we finally are getting some snow. After reading so many snow-themed books for weeks and weeks, I was starting to feel guilty for getting her hopes up for something she might not get to experience herself this year.

Once we got in the car and headed on our way, there were lots of "Oohs!" and Ahhs!" Although I'd call this snow just a light dusting, the way the wind was carrying the large flakes of snow through the air and had created a light blanket on the rooftops, it did look pretty magical on our car-ride home. "I make snowman when I get home Mommy," Anna Claire fantasized. We talked about how we would need a lot more snow to pull that off.

As soon as we pulled in the driveway, I heard the request, "I put on my mitten and hat and pway in the snow." And so we did. Although short-lived, Anna Claire had a ball grabbing up handfuls of snow, tasting it, listening to the sound of her shoes crunch as she walked and ran through the snow. I was not off the hook to simply be a spectator. Anna Claire chased me and had me chase her. After about 10 minutes, she was (thankfully) asking to go inside. "I cold. I have some hot chocolate." Sounded perfect to me.

A wonderful first experience in the snow as a big girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment