Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Keep Trying...

"Keep trying." This has been my summer motto.

Anna Claire's first trip to church, the library, the pool, the Y, and even the first summer stroller ride have all been met with tears. When holding the crying, inconsolable child, it is tempting to think, "We are never doing this again. Fail."

But I am proud to say that I have kept pressing on. We are now attending church, library, the pool and Y with a smile. Stroller rides daily from 9-9:30 am - that is until 95 degree and higher temps return.

Stranger anxiety continues to vex us. I am starting to understand it better, and learn what to do to offset meltdowns. If someone approaches me or Larry and talks only to him or me, she is fine. It is when people get in her face, even close family, that she gets worked up. There are exceptions to this reasoning: the lucky friends and family members with small children seem to get a nod of approval from Anna Claire - no tears whatsoever. OR...in a setting where food is involved. Food and small children seem to be the ticket with her.

2 comments:

  1. Angie,
    It can be trying! I have the motto it is worth it, we are making memories. Sometimes not always good but mostly they are. Keep it up, getting out of the house does the best to help with stranger anxiety. Press on good Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear that, Mandy! THANKS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete