Monday, December 13, 2010

Anna Claire and the Purple Crayon

Today, Anna Claire once again was all about drawing. She loves that she can just point at the drawer where the crayons are kept and we will get them for her. We love that when she moves away from her art table with crayons in hand, we can say, "Anna Claire, it's time for your crayons to go night-night" and she'll hand them over with no fuss. We can then put them back on the table for her to use later. What a good girl!

She continues to favor her purple crayon, but branched out today by trying a little black and blue. Larry gave her 5 sheets of plain white paper. She was SO excited to have so many sheets at once. I normally give her one sheet of color wonder at a time, but his paper contribution reminded me of how blonde I can be. We don't have color wonder crayons. They are Crayola washable crayons and they totally work on plain paper. Duh!

We like giving Anna Claire plain paper to see what she can create, as opposed to coloring pages. After talking to my dental hygenist friend, I'm rethinking this. She said her daughter who is now 4, could color a picture of Barney and stay in the lines by the time she was 2. I'd like to see how early we can develop this skill as well. Purple will most likely be the color of choice.

She also will follow simple instructions. For example, she will now move her purple crayon in a circular motion if you ask her to draw a circle. Nowhere near drawing one, but I think it's pretty smart of her to know the direction. Or if I say "dot, dot, dot" she will make dots with her crayon.

Today I loved how important it was to Anna Claire to name EVERYTHING. She was constantly looking around the room, pointing out objects and telling me what they were: ights, chee, nana, piwhoa, awa, jink, nack, eyes, ca-cane, ipes (lights, tree, banana, pillow, water, drink, snack, eyes, candy cane, wipes) There were many more, but these are the first that come to mind. So cute.

Tonight, after bath, Anna Claire was walking unassisted across the room ALL OVER the place. We were so proud of her!

I can't believe we're out of school again tomorrow. I want to get out of the house since main roads are clear and do some fun things with my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment