Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

A few days ago I mentioned to Larry that I'd like to go to O'Charley's brunch for Mother's Day. Partly because I like O'Charley's, but mainly because it's my mom's favorite restaurant and I thought that even if we couldn't take her there, we could bring O'Charley's to her.

Friday, Larry noticed someone had made several fraudulent charges using our checking account. So we both cancelled our cards, and he broke the news to me that we were advised not to use our account for the next few days...hence no O'Charley's.

I was fine with it, really. No big deal.

Well, on Mother's Day, on our way from church, I asked what everybody wanted for lunch, thinking we'd eat at home, and Larry said, "I thought we could go to O'Charley's."
I said, "But I thought..."
Larry said, "Well, I have some cash I've been hanging on to and we can just use that." What a sweet surprise!

It was yummy! Prime rib, and moms got free pie. Anna Claire was a big help with the pie, and loved her strawberry smoothie and mac-n-cheese. ;)

After O'Charley's,  I told Anna Claire we were going to Signature to see Meme. She replied, "Meme's in 308, Daddy. Room three-oh-eight!" - gotta love my little helper!

I am always a little anxious before each visit, because I never know how she's going to be - will she know I'm there? Will she know where she is and what's going on? Will she understand what I'm saying? Will we be able to have a real conversation? Will she say hurtful things or things that don't make sense? You just never know with Alzheimer's. These were all legitimate possibilities.

Well, I got my Mother's Day wish. Momma loved seeing us. We got a smile when we walked in, and I loved talking to Momma today. She was in good spirits, and I was able to understand everything she was saying. She was telling me how good the food was, what she'd like some more of, and asked Anna Claire about her week. She was really herself - such a blessing as we only get small windows of time like this in the later stages of Alzheimer's.

Momma loved going outside and watching Anna Claire play on the rocking chairs, and she loved the O'Charley's prime rib and strawberries that another friend had brought by earlier.

I was so encouraged by how much she ate. She has been having a really hard time feeding herself lately, and consequently refusing to eat. She lost 7 pounds in one week, and was down to 112, with 130 being normal for her.

I spent the rest of my Mother's Day enjoying my sweet girl doing whatever she wanted. We played outside for hours, eating popsicles, taking barefoot walks in the grass, picking strawberries from our strawberry patch, playing at the water table, picking flowers, laying on our backs on the picnic blanket - looking up at the trees and skies....perfect, perfect day!


No comments:

Post a Comment