Thursday, May 16, 2013

Soccer Shots

Until today, I haven't been able to watch Anna Claire play soccer because I sponsor an after school club that's held the exact same time as her soccer on Thursdays. Well, school year's ending, and clubs are done. I loved being able to watch them today!

I was so impressed with Coach Brant, the Soccer Shots coach. He is so great with the kids - they really listen to him and he makes everything a lot of fun for them.  It is absolutely the perfect introduction to soccer for her age.

The kids start off by warming up, getting to throw the ball and then dribble the ball with their feet. They do several exercises and she really seems to like these.

One of the exercises gave some of the kids a chance to be a goalie. Anna Claire got tapped for this, but she kept putting the balls in the goal instead of throwing them out of the goal. Here's a pic of Brant coaching Anna Claire not to put the balls in the goal. ;)

Anna Claire, we don't want the balls to go in the goal, we want to keep them from going in the goal.

Another exercise was letting each kid take turns kicking a ball all the way across the field and into the goal.


The kids get to play a  "game" of soccer. I was so proud of Anna Claire that she was one of the few girls actually going after the ball. Maybe it was because I was watching, but either way, I was happy that she wasn't picking flowers or gathering pine cones like she's been reported doing in the past.

At the end of class the kids get to go around and help Coach pick up the equipment - they really like helping him! Then they all get their Soccer Shots stamp!

I can't wait to go back next week! Maybe I will bring Daddy with me...


No comments:

Post a Comment