Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Road to Independence

With a new baby on the way, it's very exciting to see how confident and independent Anna Claire is becoming.

For the longest, I thought I wanted children spaced out 2-3 years so they would be close, but 4 years ended up being God's will. As I watch Anna Claire take on more and more responsibilities the past few months, I see what a wonderful helper we have in her!

Anna Claire loves helping out these days. She is so proud of herself when she carries her dinner plate to the kitchen, getting me something I need from another room, or just following directions and carrying out something we've asked her to do.

It has taken her longer to do many things than other children her age, but I take full responsibility for this. We've done for her, so much, for so long, that it's no wonder she's just now doing some of these tasks. I thought I'd make a list of things Anna Claire is now doing for herself that she was not doing just 2 months ago, things that will be a huge help in about 4 months:

  • Getting dressed by herself (we have admittedly enabled her to rely on us for this)
  • Going potty herself
  • Turning on lights and opening doors
  • Making her own sandwich
  • Playing independently
  • Getting her own paper out of the drawer for art
  • Staying with a task or activity for 5-10 minutes, long enough for us to go downstairs and do a few chores and come back to find her still engaged in the same task. 
  • Getting Meme gum, snacks, and throwing the wrappers away for her
  • Picking the ripe strawberries in our strawberry patch

This morning, Larry came upstairs with breakfast for her, to find her completely dressed and that she she had already gone potty by herself. She had even put her PJs in the dirty clothes basket. As I said before, this will be such a blessing in a few months when we have a #2!


No comments:

Post a Comment