Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Reading in context

I haven't posted about Anna Claire's reading in months, partly because I didn't want to be one of those mothers. But maybe I am one them...if one of them means you think you're child is gifted and capable and amazing, then yes, I be them.

I have to brag, that not only can Anna Claire read over 1000 words in isolation, but this week she has started reading in context. When reading a story, if I point to a word, she can read it. Today she supplied: happy, candy, apple, circus, star, gorilla, shoe, foot, walk, bear, and pumpkin.

She is also recognizing common sight words (me, you, be, see, in, up, like) in addition to all of the YBCR words, bringing it all together to a point that she could actually soon read simple books by herself.

I try to bring new books into the mix often so I can see what she's actually able to read, and ensure that it's not just her memorizing a book because I've read it a million times to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment