Sunday, April 17, 2011

Potty time!

I do believe it's potty time, ladies and gentlemen.

Whenever Anna Claire says, "Potty," I take it seriously. We go the the bathroom and I ask her if she wants to sit on the potty. The answer to this question has always been no, until today.

When we walked into the bathroom, she walked straight to the potty, as usual, only instead of pointing to it, naming it, and walking away like she normally does, she sat down on it. Here is the conversation that ensued shortly thereafter:

Anna Claire: Off! (pointing to boots)
Mommy: You want your boots off?
Anna Claire: Off.
(Mommy takes boots off)
Anna Claire: Pant. Off.
Mommy: You want your pants off too?
Anna Claire: Off.
(Mommy takes pants off)
Anna Claire: Diaper. Off.
Mommy: You want your diaper off? Do you need to go potty?
Anna Claire: Off. Potty.
(Mommy takes diaper off)
Anna Claire: Wead.
(Anna Claire reads her Wonder Pets: Shapes book, retelling me what happens on every page in the book, all the while sitting on potty)
Mommy: Do you need to go potty?
Anna Claire: No. Keen diaper.
Mommy: You want a clean diaper? Ok. Let's go get a clean diaper.
Anna Claire: Hand. Keen. Wash.
Mommy: You want to wash your hands? Ok great!
(We wash hands. No poop or pee in potty, but I am excited that this was all her own idea and we are moving in the direction at this point)
Anna Claire: Hand. Dwy.
(Mommy walks Anna Claire to dry hands)
Anna Claire: Done!

We repeated this sequence several times this afternoon, the book selected varying for each one. But later....

At bath time, I was just about to shampoo Anna Claire's hair, when she looked me right in the eye and said, "Potty. Poop," then looked at the potty.

I said, "Can you wait just a minute? I just need to wash your hair, then we're all done."

"Mo," she said (which is how "no" is coming out right now). I REALLY should have listened to her. After getting her all "sudsed up" she made the "I'm about to poop" face. I pulled her out of there so fast, suds and all.

She fussed, but she pooped in the potty for the first time! And nobody had to fish a floating turd out of the bathtub. Win Anna Claire! Win Mommy!

Lots of "Yays!" and hugs, and "Good jobs!" from Mommy and Daddy followed.

Not exactly how I had envisioned her first successful potty experience, but there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment