Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Flying with Young Kids



One for the books! Our first time flying with kiddos (ages 5 years and 9 months) and what a way to begin. The thought of thirteen hours total travel time with two layovers had me concerned. But not only did we survive, dare I say we enjoyed flying with our kids?

At the airport we received so many compliments on our blanket and luggage make-shift play yard. I have to give credit to my mother-in-law for that stellar idea. Brilliant. Crawling and moving around was just what Madeline needed after hours of being restrained.


Anna Claire is old enough to really appreciate what's going on and loved flying. It really could've gone either way so I am oh so thankful she enjoys it. She had her handy dandy ladybug luggage full of props plus Grandma to help entertain and keep her full of snacks. If she could get a window seat it was a huge plus since she loved looking out the window at the clouds. When she didn't get a window seat she sulked for a bit but then got over it.

For four to six year olds, I'd recommend and of the gear we brought along for the flight as well as for times your in your hotel room or vacation home with little to do. She especially loved her Leappad (art studio and new Sofia game in particular.) I loaded Frozen and Wizard of Oz on the Kindle which helped entertain both girls. A Melissa and Doug Magic sea life coloring book was a huge hit, as was her My First Plane Ride coloring book. She plans to color the whole book she says to make a "real book" since there is a story as well. That way I can read it to her, she says.



Madeline is so little and I was extremely anxious about flying with her and how she would do. I envisioned her crying the whole flight. She fussed, for sure, but nothing that couldn't be curbed by puffs, other snacks or introducing a new toy or trinket every few minutes. And I had better luck giving her random items like pieces of yarn or my bracelet or even a tampon than I did her own toys. Found items rule. Even better, she spent most of each flight sleeping. And the layovers were spent with her awake for the most part, usually an hour or more each. So that was really great to help break up our flying time.

Pat the Bunny is a must for the 6 to 12 month old jet setter.

Puffs: another must-have!


No comments:

Post a Comment