Sunday, April 14, 2013

Celebrating Progress

I have learned in the past three years to make "Comparison is the thief of joy" my personal mantra, and it has really helped me to enjoy my own child for who she is and to not compare her to other children and what they are able to do. I remind myself to live in the moment and to see the good in this sweet baby. That's not hard at all, because there is plenty of that - she's awesome!

However, I am human, and like everybody, I slip back into my old nature and catch myself thinking things like, "All the other children her age are climbing all over that playground like monkeys. Why can't Anna Claire be more confident and take more risks like that?"

Well, I know the answer to that - we've been overprotective of her, shy of wrapping her in bubble wrap. Larry and I agree that we have unintentionally held her back by avoiding or discouraging her from doing anything that wasn't safe.

We've made a conscious effort in the past few months to step back and encourage Anna Claire to take more chances and it's paid off really very quickly. I am so, so proud of her! And of us!


 
Anna Claire is finally riding her tricycle by herself. We worked on riding a trike all summer last year, but she would try pedaling and get frustrated and quit every time. We really encourage her to keep trying and not give up, but it has taken this long for her to figure it out and/or be determined enough to do it. I have to remind myself, though, that she didn't learn to walk until 18 months, so developmentally, it probably makes sense that we are just now riding a trike. I'd also like to give a special shout out to gymnastics for helping her to physically catch up with her peers and give her a confidence boost!  (I swear, no one passed gas in this video...I have no idea why that sound is in the video. lol ;)


 
Anna Claire wouldn't have even attempted this last summer. But since we've started stepping back and encouraging her to take more chances, we are amazed at what she really can do. With no visits to the ER. ;)


 
 Wouldn't have dared to try this either. Check out how proud she is of herself at the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment