Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Loss is Her Gain

Having Anna Claire has been a blessing in so many ways, but it has also provided me with the opportunity to do things differently with her, and with second chance at a full childhood for myself (a vicarious one). I love our outings and excursions just as  much as she does. Honestly, I do.

I missed out on a lot of things as a child, and was reminded of this on a recent girls' night out. My friends were reminiscing about softball games, sleepovers, and girl scouts, none of which I ever attended as a child.

When I was a child, I was not allowed to ride my bike out of the yard, go to birthday parties, go over to anyone's house, participate in any sports (not even "girl" sports like gymnastics, cheer, or dance). We never went on vacations. Never flew on a plane. I was never allowed out of my house without my mother right there with me. Until I was of driving age. And even then, outings were limited.

I don't say any of this for sympathy or pity, but rather statement of fact. And partial explanation for why I feel so strongly that Anna Claire should be given every available opportunity. I feel so strongly that part of a parent's responsibility is to help your child discover his/her talents and do everything in your power to support and develop those talents. Every experience we provide has the potential to enrich the child's life, and as an educator, I know the past experiences that our kids bring to the table are crucial to new learning. So we want her to have many, many experiences! We are charged with raising the whole child.

They say it's just as important to learn what not to do as it is to learn what TO do. That has certainly been my case. I'm not an advocate of spoiling, and I don't find AC to be spoiled (though some may disagree), but she will be offered as many options, opportunities, and experiences as we are able to provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment