Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Little Reader

I promise I try to use restraint when it comes to posting about Anna Claire's ability the read.

It is one of the things I am most proud of about her, but I also realize all parents think their kids are geniuses and realize that that can come across as super-annoying.

I just can't help it today, though. On the way to gymnastics, we were sitting at a stoplight (a very long stoplight), and Anna Claire saw a marquee. She said, "Mommy! That say 'Moving!'" It sure did. It said, "Moving Sale."

 A few second later I hear, "That says 'how!'" Close! It said, "Call now."

We pulled up to Berry Bear this week and Anna Claire noticed the GameStop sign next door. "Mommy, that say 'stop!'" Then later, we drove by Michael's Pizza (Anna Claire's never been to a Michael's). AC said, "Mommy that say 'pizza!'"

Anna Claire also seems to have retained about 80% of her Your Baby Can Read words. One example of this was evident a few nights ago. I walked in the room and she had pulled out about 12 of her YBCR cards. She read 7 out of 12 on the spot. I don't know that she didn't know the other 5, but she FELT like reading 7. I'm posting a pic below of 6 of the words she read correctly. She also knew "drum," not pictured.



Most of all, I love that Anna Claire is now attempting to read a books on her own. And I don't mean sit and look at the pictures. She looks over the whole page and calls out words she knows and attempts some she doesn't know. Her guesses at unknown words tell us she gets phonics. For example, she saw the word "quit" and miscued it as "quiet."

Admittedly, she has memorized some books that we've read to her multiple times, but we can point out random words to her and she's able to read them. Or sometimes we leave out words when we read and she is able to supply the missing word when we point to it.

She is three years, two months. :) This Momma is proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment