Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Egg Hunt at Red Barn

Like most moms, I like being there for special moments in my child's life. It's not always doable. But sometimes, I can make it doable. I had some personal days saved up, and had no intention of taking any more days off this school year. I decided to take a half day and spend the morning at Anna Claire's Easter party and egg hunt at school.

This was not a decision I made lightly, because although I selfishly like being there, I also know my little girl functions best with structure and routine. I also know that historically, any time I've shown up at school in the middle of the day to attend something of hers, it's thrown her off. There are tears at some point. She's clingy. I anticipated it could be hard on us both, but went anyway.
Anna Claire WAS clingy. She didn't want any of her friends to sit in my lap. She didn't want me to leave the room to help the other parents hide eggs. She didn't want to give her Easter basket to the teacher. She was the first to realize that the spoon race eggs were edible and started a trend with her friends: eating them shell and all. She didn't want to come in from outside. Tears, tears and more tears. I knew this could happen.
But she had fun. She was excited to see me. She happy in my lap during circle time and wanted to hold my hands. I loved getting to be there for circle time. Anna Claire's teachers are wonderful - teaching them so much. More than I expected. Friends were fighting over who got to sit beside Anna Claire which made me smile. She loved the egg hunt and was excited to find all of her eggs. Although I missed a part of the party, I heard she loved the s'mores they made with marshmellow Peeps. :)
A couple of days have passed, and I can honestly say that I'm glad I went. We share that memory now, and I was able to capture moments for myself and other parents who weren't able to be there.
Will I go to her next school event? If I can, you bet. Because the easy thing and the right thing aren't the same.






No comments:

Post a Comment