Friday, October 4, 2013

Big Sister Anna Claire

Grandma and Freddie brought Anna Claire to the hospital to see Madeline for the first time. After they left, Larry and I talked and came to the same conclusion: she seemed jealous and standoffish and we had to do whatever was necessary to make her feel special, included, and loved.

So when she arrived back home on our first night together as a family, it worked out perfectly that I had already nursed the baby and that she had just fallen asleep. I spent those next couple of hours totally doting on Anna Claire, asking her all about her weekend, and hanging onto every word. Lots of hugs and kisses, and telling her repeatedly how much we loved and missed her. I think it got through to her because she went to bed an extremely happy and smiley little girl.

Sisters!

Anna Claire loves to hug and kiss her baby.
As we have continued through this first week, we've included Anna Claire as much as possible with everything.

She helps at diaper changes by bringing me diapers, giving Madeline her paci when she loses it, and getting me new outfits when we require a wardrobe change.

Larry has really involved her in cooking dinner. When planning our menu for the week, he planned for meals she could actively help with. She loves this big girl responsibility and time with her daddy.

Of course, Madeline is relying solely on me for feedings, and I am continuing to heal from the c-section. So taking Anna Claire to and from school and getting her to and from her extracurriculars has fallen completely on Larry. They have both enjoyed this time! She has loved having Daddy come watch her at gymnastics for a change. She has enjoyed bath and bedtime with Daddy too. I selfishly miss these times with her, but it is necessary for a short season until I heal.

My time with Anna Claire has really been from the time she gets home from the Red Barn until dinner. I treasure it and try to make a point to feed the baby whenever Larry takes off to go pick her up. That way I can give her my undivided attention when she gets home. I love hearing about her day, drawing with her, and snuggling.

Anna Claire is still making sure to point out all of the things she can do that "her baby" can't:
"My baby can't have gum, right Mommy?" "My baby can't go to school." "My baby can't sleep in bed."
These comparisons are good to us, because they give us an opportunity to reinforce the advantages of her being a big girl.


We are really proud of how Anna Claire is handling the transition so far. We really shouldn't be surprised though. She is such a sweet, thoughtful, caring, and helpful little girl, and is quickly proving herself to be a sweet, thoughtful, caring, helpful big sister as well.
My first time wearing Madeline. She went right to sleep allowing me to give all my attention to big sis.

Anna Claire sure does love her little sister. Sometimes it can be a little too much love. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment