Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Fun

Larry's work in progress
Today was a pumpkin kind of day. Larry carved our pumpkin, and I baked a pumpkin pie and roasted our pumpkin seeds.

The day started with a great service at Grace Community. We went to the 8:30 service to allow plenty of time for pumpkin festivities, plus Walmart grocery trip and visit from Meme.

After church we went for a walk outside, found some neat looking leaves, found two new bell peppers on our pepper plant and oodles of new tomatoes. What a crazy October for gardening.

Toasted pumpkin seeds
We went inside and Larry got busy carving. Anna Claire loved playing in the pumpkin goo, and loved her job of separating the seeds from the goo. She did a great job! I really wish I had pictures of this, but I didn't want to get the camera yucky.

After the carving, Anna Claire helped me mix the pie filling, evaporated milk and eggs and pour it into the crust. She helped wash the pumpkin seeds by swishing them around in a sealed ziploc bag filled with water. Then we cut a tip in the bag and squeezed all of the water out of the bag.

pumpkin pie fan.
She enjoyed licking the pumpkin filling off the wooden spoon, and trying raw pumpkin seeds despite my advice not to. ;)

 As soon as I got her up from her nap, she declared, "I eat pie now! Yum yum!"

my pie!
We made our way downstairs, and tasted the yummy roasted pumpkin seeds with butter and sea salt. "Taste like popcorn!" Anna Claire noted.

Then we each devoured a warm slice of pumpkin pie with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. I have honestly never made nor liked pumpkin pie in my life, but my pie was delicious. Anna Claire approved with lots of  "Mmmmms," and the best compliment a cook can receive, "I have more please."





No comments:

Post a Comment