Thursday, February 6, 2014

iHover.

If you spend much time around me with Anna Claire, you might be tempted to peg me as a helicopter parent.

And, at times I'd have to admit you're right. But just as often, I can see value in being a "hands-off parent." I think the important thing is to strike a balance that's right for you and your child.

The latest trend in parenting seems to be this hands-off style, and I get the intended goal of giving kids space...to not crush a kid's spirit, to teach independence and to build leadership traits. When opportunities arise to help my girls meet these goals, it's at these times I choose to be hands-off, but sometimes I choose to hover.

I hover because I value my child's safety, character and consideration of others. I hover because I have wisdom to share and take my responsibility as my child's first teacher very seriously. I hover because I believe character is formed at a young age and I choose to help guide and actively shape it now. I hover because I realize raising a child with strong character who is kind and warm to others is bestowing upon my child a wonderful gift. I hover too because I realize the value of people skills in life. 

No, you will never see me fully ride the hands-off train, nor the helicopter. What you will see is a parent who seeks to do what's right for her children, and the situation will determine that, not a parenting style.

No comments:

Post a Comment