Friday, November 29, 2013

Taking a Candy Basket to Granny

I've been trying to think of ways to teach AC what the holidays are really about, but then she teaches me: 


Anna Claire and I were talking one day last week about her friend Amy's granny going to Rehab. Granny broke her hip, just like Meme, and had to have surgery to have it replaced. She's in rehab now to help get her up and going again.

A few days later she asked me again to tell her why Granny was in rehab, so I did. I explained that she broke her hip and had to have surgery for it just like Meme.

Then she declared we would go visit Granny, take her flowers in a vase, and a candy basket just like meme had. Anna Claire was very specific about the kind of candy that needed to go in the basket: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Trident gum, and little boxes of raisins. She said that way Amy can have some candy whenever she visits her granny.

Well, how could I say no to such a request? We went out to see Granny on Friday and it was a really nice visit. I think we all enjoyed it. 

For Anna Claire and me, it had been several months since we'd been to a rehab or nursing home, and I think we've actually missed it. When you go somewhere every day for months, it becomes a big part of your life. I enjoyed seeing some of the nurses and techs who had helped my mom when she was there. 

Granny asked us to please come and see her again and I do think we will. She did tell Paige, Amy's mom, that she was horrified that we saw her hair in such a state. I think she looked great though!




No comments:

Post a Comment