Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ear Infections Suck.

This has been a trying week for our household. Poor, sweet baby girl is in so much pain, she is unknowingly putting Mommy and Daddy through the wringer.

Thursday I got a phone call that Anna Claire had a fever of 103, was withdrawn and lethargic.She is typically a very happy little girl, so I was beside myself wondering what was wrong, and wondering how I could get to her as quickly as possible.

I recently took on a new role at my school as sponsor of photography club. It was then that I got the call. I was fortunately able to get a friend to watch my students so I could take off and get Anna Claire.

She was SO hot and pale and weak when I arrived. Larry had made a call to the doc's office in the meantime, and booked us the soonest available appointment. We were diagnosed with another ear infection right away and prescribed our amoxicilllin, and away we went.

In the days that have followed, we have had very sweet moments where she wanted nothing more than to cuddle and snuggle in our laps for hours at a time, which I love.

We have also had moments of frustration, where we have been at a total loss as to how to console a crying, suffering child. The latter is the source of my present discontent.

I can honestly say we have fully used our knowledge of her favorite things to our advantage: we have been outside more times than I can count,  large quantities of fruit and snack mix have been consumed, play doh has been rolled and patted, favorite books have been read multiple times, and favorite Blues Clues episodes have been played and replayed; crayons, markers, and paper are in continuous circulation. And we have allowed her paci and blanket to accompany her whenever she chooses. Larry and I have figuratively and literally bent over backwards to accommodate and indulge Anna Claire.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, crying, tantrums, and generally fussy behavior continue to ensue.
If Larry or I fail to correctly and promptly identify her needs and requests, we are met with physical disapproval. Yes, I have been hit. I have been kicked. I have had my hair pulled. I have had toys thrown at me. All in a three day period.

I have come to a couple of conclusions. 1) Tubes are imminent. 2) All toddlers must learn not to hit, bite, kick, pinch, pull hair, or throw things, but in order for this learning to occur, so must actual hitting, biting, kicking, pinching, hair pulling and throwing. So then, I am choosing to just say we have had numerous learning opportunities at our house this week.

Anyone who knows my child, knows this aggressive behavior is not common. I just want it to be over so I can have my sweet baby girl back. Stupid ear infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment